Monday, June 4, 2012

Gin no Saji


Introduction: Sometimes you stumble onto little gems not because you are looking for them, but by pure happenstance. I began reading Gin no Saji aka "Silver Spoon" not because I was interested in reading a farming manga, but because Arakawa Hiromu is one of my favorite mangaka, and after Fullmetal Alchemist I am willing to give anything she creates a chance no matter how uninteresting the initial concept might sound to me. And personally I am glad I did.

Plot Overview: Hachiken Yugo is a student from Sapporo who enrolls in an agricultural high school after failing to get into his high schools of choice on the mistaken belief that the easier course load will give him more time to prepare for college. Unfortunately for him he is woefully unprepared for not only the hard labor that comes from being in an agricultural high school but from the moral and ethical problems that one must face in the ever challenging world of farming where you literally hold the fate of other living creatures in your hands. This combined with his ever helpful nature leads to him having to confront not only himself, but his beliefs and what he wants for the future.

Review: Despite my initial assumption that this would be another school, coming to age, shounen manga only set in an agricultural background instead of the usual setting, I was quickly proven wrong when the coming to age part proved to have little to do with maturity, but instead was about shaping one's ethics and morals. Combined with the fact that instead of fanciful elements providing the moral choice, we are given the very real life examples of killing animals you are attached to for food or ethical debates on engineering produce and livestock. But despite the sheer weight of the coming to age elements, this manga is anything but depressing. It is full of hope, life, and even quite a bit of comedy that only Arakawa Hiromu can pull off.

Conclusion: Due to the subject matter and the fact that the problems faced are very much ground in real life this manga isn't for everybody, but for those that are either looking for a good coming of age manga to follow or are fans of Fullmetal Alchemist I strongly recommend reading Gin no Saji.

Guardman's Grade: A-

Categories:  Shounen, Slice of Life, School Life, Coming of Age, Comedy, Drama

2 comments:

  1. Started reading this manga after reading this review, and i've got to say, i'm hooked. I can't wait to see how the story continues, and how the characters develop. I love stories where you can see the character changing throughout the series, and this one has really delivered on that front.

    I'll second your recommendation, it's really a great read. I can't wait to see your next manga review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this manga really interesting. And I like it even more when I found out the author happen to be Arakawa Hiromu. But truthfully I love this kind of story which taught us about hardness of life.

    ReplyDelete